Microsoft Lync for Mac
What is Lync for Mac?
Lync for Mac 2011 is the new rich client for Lync users on the Mac platform and offers integrated functionality for instant messaging, presence, conferencing and voice.
Lync for Mac is designed to work with both Lync Server 2010 and Lync Online to help you:
- Control communication costs
- Improve user productivity
- Gain operational efficiencies
- Collaborate effectively
What do users get with Lync for Mac?
Instant Messaging & Presence
Help users connect using the right tools at the right time
By simply looking at a contact name and the presence icon associated with that person, you can see whether a person is available, in a meeting, or out of the office so you can determine the best way to communicate with them.
Presence can display user status which can be set by a user or automatically based on calendar, login status, and more. Users can gain greater context with data such as published phone numbers and photos through a streamlined contact card experience.
- Real-time presence information based on calendar information, login status or set by the user.
- Presence available in client applications in e-mail, coauthoring and document scenarios.
- Instant information with contact cards including photos.
- Enhanced instant messaging with colleagues on different platforms and the ability to invite multiple parties to join the same conversation.
Audio & Video Conferencing
Get integrated audio, video, and web conferencing.
Users can make computer-to-computer audio and video calls. They can also conduct conference calls by inviting multiple contacts to join the conversation or initiating a meeting from within Outlook for Mac 2011 or Lync for Mac 2011.
- Support for Lync Server 2010 and Lync Online through Office 365 conferences from a Mac.
- Create, moderate, and join ad hoc collaboration sessions and online meetings.
- Set up online meetings from Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011.
- Desktop sharing to enable collaboration between users.
- Descriptive roster results for a more robust meeting experience
Access rich features that go beyond the phone.
Lync for Mac makes it easy for users to make calls and access features during calls that streamline workflow for everyone.
- Make calls from a Mac using it as a softphone.
- Forward calls to various devices and numbers.
- Transfer calls to various devices and numbers.
- Simultaneous ring allows for incoming calls to ring both Lync for Mac and another phone.
* Some voice capabilities require Lync Server 2010 and are not available with Lync Online
Compatible with Lync Server 2010 and Lync Online
Lync for Mac 2011 is fully compatible with Lync Server 2010 and Lync Online. Some features will not be fully functional with Lync Online including Voice options.
Customers who purchase Office for Mac Standard 2011 on or after October 1, 2011 will have an Office suite that includes Lync for 2011 instead of Communicator for Mac 2011. Customers with active Software Assurance coverage for Office for Mac Standard 2011 on or after October 1, 2011 can use either Communicator for Mac 2011 or upgrade to Lync for Mac 2011.